Tuesday

A Word for 2011

I usually pick a word that defines how I want to go into the new year. I don't think too much about it, it just has a natural reoccurance in my life. Well this year everybody's picking a word. Maybe they always did I was just so disconnected from any like minded community, i didn't know about it. But being a rebel and a little bit of a prick from time to time I decided NO WORD FOR ME! I'm going against the grain...even if it's just for grain's sake (i know, i know).

But what I didn't realize was the word had already chosen me.

Then when I did realize it I said to myself, "Self, how can that word possibly last all year long? Once you got it, you got it right?" And then i thought, I don't want to beat a dead horse. And does this word bring up too many bad memories that I have to sift through?

Well, I soon uhm how do you say, humbled myself to the truth. The truth that this word never gets old and is so underused and misunderstood that I could find a million ways to use it, to share it, to meditate on it. So much so that it could become my word for life. I know this because when I think of it my heart swells and the tears well up in my eyes. My mind goes to all the names & faces that I owe this word to. Some I am asking for it and others I'm giving it to.

The word is FORGIVENESS

I can barely type it with out becoming a blubbering mess. I mean in my intellectual mind I know life is short and there are too many things to do other than hold on to any grudge or ill memory. But my ego with it's marathon memory and Olympic strength has the will and power to hold on to some really old shit. And with that same will and power it is able to justify all its own wrongs.


And what I have realized is that FORGIVENESS leads to all sorts of beautiful words  that through it's healing power I can more fully embrace. Words like...

APPRECIATION...FUN....LIGHT HEARTEDNESS... LAUGHTER......CREATIVITY...INTIMACY...CONNECTION... 
PEACE.

 So with that being said, I embark on a new soul's journey. One that has already began to crack that now useless hard exterior that used to protect me. One that will surely leave me more vulnerable, more authentic and more receptive to love...and hopefully to more forgiveness.

8 comments:

  1. What a good word. I think I have my but not sure yet. I'll let you know. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that. Great word. Mine would be simplicity. I want to live a more simple life this year. :)

    Here's the link to that dresser rehab http://showandtell-sausha.blogspot.com/
    She has a great blog with a lot of before/after projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jennifer... lovely post. You've got me crying now too. Beautiful word... Thank you for sharing this post...

    xoxo Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgiveness is so powerful when you actually sucuumb to it! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and your kind words.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgiveness is a beautiful world. And you my dear have a heart and soul I can just sit with all day. Happy New Year to you and I'm looking forward to journeying with you with our words in tow. With forgiveness and fearLESS we could just about save the world! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post..my word is Brave..I have to be brave..and move forward..brave enough to love myself..and not feel guilty about it..brave enough to get to know me again..and brave enough to say "no" when i want to..brave enough to claim my own life..it's hard to be brave..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jennifer! Nice to connect with you and read your inspirational post. I love your word choice!! One of the most powerful words out there I'd say. Thanks for sharing your heartfelt words and making me think. :D all the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Jennifer...boy, did this post touch me. I would love for you to visit my blog www.queenbartistry.blogspot.com and read my last post. It is all about the pain of letting go of a major hurt and finding forgiveness. I could so feel your words as I have felt them myself. You are so right that forgiveness leads to many more beautiful words. I hope you will check it out and hopefully become a fan..I think we have much incommon and I am also a Scorpio!! Blessings to you! bertie

    ReplyDelete